Colon cleansing also known as Colon Hydrotherapy and commonly called a Colonic.
The main functions of the colon are threefold:
The colon contains nearly 60 varieties of micro flora or bacteria to aid digestion, promote vital nutrient production, to maintain pH (acid-base) balance, and to prevent proliferation of harmful bacteria.
All GWC Associates are I-Act certified and are present during the session. Bodywork and trigger points can be applied to assist easier releases. With Colon cleansing the entire large intestine can be cleansed and the therapeutic benefits are much greater than those achieved with an enema.
Colon Cleansing is a gentle cleansing of the large intestine. At Gentle Wellness, we use state-of-the-art FDA registered open and closed devices using a 3 stage filter and temperature-controlled water. The client lies on a table/basin connected to a Colon Cleansing device, with a new disposable speculum/rectal nozzle, while water gently circulates into the colon. When slight pressure builds up in the colon, the water can release. As water is flowing out through an illuminated glass viewing tube, the client can view their elimination. This process is repeated during the approximately 35-45 minute session. To ensure maximum sanitation, we use a new disposable speculum/rectal nozzle for each client. Clients wear gowns for privacy, ease and comfort during the session.
Colon Cleansing’s main strength is hydration and can impact the whole digestive system. Almost anyone can benefit from internal cleansing. Most people feel great after their session; others may feel differently according to what they have eliminated. It can be compared to deep cleaning a house…what was hidden? These effects can vary from person to person and is normally of short duration. The Associate can give more information for each personal experience.
Before a Session:
- The days before the appointment eat as many water content foods as possible, examples: raw and cooked green leafy vegetables, raw vegetable drinks and whole grains. This will start hydrating the colon to ease your experience.
- Try to cut down on all processed foods, examples: white flour products, cheese, dried foods, greasy foods and sugar. These foods have a tendency to dehydrate the colon and can make the experience more challenging.
- Avoid eating 2 hours before the colon hydrotherapy appointment.
- Avoid drinking liquids 1 hour before. It can make your bladder full during the colon hydrotherapy session.
- Avoid all diuretic foods one day prior to your appointment, including; coffee, tea or soda. These can dehydrate and also make the bladder full.
After a Session:
- It is best to eat light foods that are easy on the digestive system, example; steamed vegetables, soup and light protein (fish, chicken, tofu…), avoiding nuts, salads and icy foods and drinks, since the colon just exercised.
- Drink more water to continue hydrating.
- Adding 1 tbsp. of chlorophyll or ¼ tsp. pink salt to your water will help absorption.
- Adding 2 tbsp. of lemon or 1 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar in your water can help alkalinize.
- Days following the session should be filled with vegetables (raw and steamed), soup, fruits, whole grains and pure water (not tap). Salads and raw foods have great enzymes and fiber.
- For better health, avoid anything processed, bottled or canned; sugar, pasteurized dairy and all whites/starches (sugar, flour, rice).
- A nutritionist can create a detailed plan for you.
How Many Sessions Do You Need?
For people that have never had a colonic, or if it has been a long time since your last colonic, most people choose a series of 3 or 4 in a 7 to 10 day period. Depending on each individual’s challenges and health goals, more or fewer sessions may be needed. The main goal with Colon Cleansing sessions is to hydrate and eliminate waste to achieve a clean colon. It is rare that this is achieved in a single session. On the first session, the body will experience hydration and sometimes little waste material comes out. The result may depend on several factors including the ability of the body to relax, the health condition of the colon, diet and water intake to name a few. Knowing that the length of the colon is approximately 5.5 feet in length, in most people it may take a few sessions to allow full hydration and better elimination.